"In 1851, Bill Whitaker is granted the deed for his homestead on Yellow Bluff – a total of 144.81 acres. To this land, Whitaker added another 48.63 acres which he purchased from a fisherman who was moving back to Cuba. The total tract ranged from the city’s property north of 10th Street all the way to 33rd Street along the bay front. The cost? $1.25 per acre for the 48.63 acres. The rest was free."
- Reprint from "Sarasota History Alive" (email news)
- photo credit: Sarasota County History Center