This blog is dedicated to the environmental well-being of our Florida coastal habitat.

This blog is
dedicated to the environmental well-being of coastal habitat.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Bud Doyle's Beach Beat:: Scallops and River Otters

On that recent blow two weeks ago,  I found hundreds of bay scallop shells on North Jetty Beach.  Normally, I am able to find a number of calico scallop shells and a few bay scallops.  However, on this occasion, there were only a few calicos and, as I mentioned, humdreds of bay scallop shells. I have been unable to find any answers to the above.
One more interesting note, as we were hiking the coastal forest behind Caspersen Beach we came upon a river otter swimming along in the Intracoastal Waterway.  It turns out that they have been coming on to the beach from Red Lake to feed on ghost crabs.  So the otters are enjoying crabs for breakfast at Caspersen Beach while I am eating cheerios on Albee Rd. in Nokomis - what's wrong with this picture??